Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Award winner at Queer Screen


A Darwin Director has been named one of Australia's most promising filmmaker at the biggest queer film festival in the nation. Elka Kerkhofs, 35, won the production award at ‘My Queer Career’ competition, staged during the opening night of the Sydney Mardi Gras film festival on Thursday. Her animation 'Filled With Water' was one of ten films to screen at the Mardi Gras festival. “I’m very happy and excited about having won this award, because it will extend the life of my animation, and give the film further marketing opportunities” she said. 'Filled With Water' is a five-minute animation about love, heartbreak and finding fulfilment through loss. Kerkhofs said she believed her film won an award is because it carried an emotional message, and was technically proficient. . "I wanted to create a character that Lesbians could identify with," she said. “It’s hard to make an animated character that people can relate to." "I got a lot of emotional responses when people watched the film, so I feel I was successful in touching people with this character." ‘Filled With Water’ will travel around Australia as part of the queer screen touring program.

My attendance at Queer screen was funded by the NTFO.

PUBLICITY

Het Belang Van Limburg, Belgium, 15 February 2007
NT News, Darwin, Australia, 19 February 2007
BNEWS, Melbourne, Australia, 22 February 2007
Sydney Star Observer, Sydney, Australia, 23 February, 2007
Het Nieuwsblad, Belgium, 24 February, 2007
Pas Uit, street magazine, Belgium, 26 February, 2007

No comments: